Total Pageviews

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

My favorite holiday of the year has finally arrived and so far, it has been a fabulous day.  The girls let us sleep until 8 this morning, which is unusual and much appreciated.  Kim and I had a great time going through the newspaper and all of the sale ads.  I've never actually done the whole Black Friday routine, but Kim has fond memories of shopping till you drop. I take that back.  Mom, Kathy and I once hit McRae's (department store) for the Black Friday sale.  We were actually one of the first through the doors and made it all the way to the bind of Cracker Jack boxes (coupon inside) when we paused to look at the madness around us.  It was crazy!  All three of us looked at each other and make the decision to hit the breakfast buffet at Shoney's instead of risking life and limb to save a few dollars.  Despite that one experience, I still enjoy reading the sale ads on Thanksgiving morning. 

Maddie, McKenzie, and Morgan played outside this morning for almost 3 hours!  No fighting, no crying, no telling on each other.  They went back and forth between the trampoline and the playscape.  It warmed our hearts to see them playing so sweetly.  It also gave me and Kim time to finish cleaning and cooking for Thanksgiving.  Okay, you know Kim is the one cooking and we both cleaned.  We are less than an hour away from friends arriving for Thanksgiving dinner and we can hardly wait to get at that bird.  Kim cooks a bird overnight and it smells so good in this house! 

Did I mention the big cold front arrived a few minutes ago?  Yes, it has been in the 80's here for a week or more, which doesn't feel very holiday at all.  We have been looking forward to this cold front for days because the temps are dropping into the 30's.  Of course, we're back to the 70's next week but who cares!  I get a fire in the fireplace for Thanksgiving!  The wind is wipping past the house and I think I might have seen a small dog flying by.  As long as we don't see an airborn lady on a bicycle, I think we're okay. 

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday with ones you love.  I am so incredibly thankful for my children and for Kim, who made me a mother.  I thank God every day for the gift of my parents and our home.  And I am thankful for Mary and Vanessa, who brought my children into this world.  May they be warm, safe, and loved wherever they are.  And to those who have passed on, we give thanks for the special place they still hold in our hearts - Kathy, Bern & Clarence, Margaret & Tommy, June & Carlton. 

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

michelle said...

happy turkey day to you and yours send my love to all