Total Pageviews

Friday, December 31, 2010

Good Bye to a Decade

Wow!  It is New Year's Eve 2010 and it just occurred to me the decade is coming to a close.  Never in a thousand years could I have dreamed how full my life would be at age 37 or the ways my life has changed in 10 years.  I think I remember my mother saying she felt the same way on December 31, 1979.  I am thankful for the few minutes of quiet that I have right now to reflect on the last 10 years and the opportunity for it all to sink in.  I've come a long way, Baby!  And I am forever grateful for the ride!  Here are the highlights.

2000 - I moved from Hattiesburg, Ms to Austin, TX to be with my love.  We combined our 3 bedroom homes into 1, making for a very full garage.  I went to work for Tramex Travel and learned what sales is all about.  I worked hard and my "drive" began to show.  I traveled to all sorts of exciting places and loved every minute.

2001 - I spent 10 days in France, my first and only trip over the Pond, with my Tramex manager and very good friend, Becky.  Kim and I planned an 8 day trip to Disney World that nearly didn't happen when 9/11 happened.  I thought my career in travel was over after so many people died at the hand of evil.  The whole world watched as airplanes were used as weapons.  I couldn't imagine that anyone would travel again.  9/11 was so personal to me because my industry went up in smoke before my very eyes.  We did take that trip to Disney World, which was incredible.  Little did we know this would be one of the last trips we would take alone.

2002 - Kim and I became certified foster parents and mothers to Brie.  Just before Brie came home to us, Kim and I took a 7 day cruise out of Florida on Royal Caribbean.  It was WONDERFUL!  We dozed by the pool everyday, reading books and people watching.  Kim and I were head over heels in love with Brie and I thought she would be with us forever, but I was wrong.  Brie taught us how to be great moms, which was a good thing because Madison was on her way.  3 days later, I lost my grandfather.  I love you, Pop.

2003 - We continued fostering and began the process to adopt Maddie.  I continued working harder than hard at the travel agency and set my sights high for big money and huge groups.  I had my first taste of financial success with my first mega group.  I learned more about myself through the creation of this group than I ever learned about travel.  I am so thankful for the opportunity to grow. We joined Parenting Across Color, a support group for families like ours. While blow drying my hair one day, I heard God tell me our family would be a light unto the world for race relations in America.  Kim thought I was crazy.  I wondered what it meant. 

2004 - I changed agencies and was promptly sued - more opportunities for personal growth.  I was setting huge goals for myself professionally.  I began to dream bigger dreams and started to believe I could probably do most anything.  We traveled and cruised and finalized Maddie's adoption.

2005 - This was the year I decided to start my own business.  Kim and I gave birth to Signature Journeys.  Little did I know the economy and the industry would tank even more.  We had the highest of hopes, but the outlook wasn't good.  Leave it to me never to give up. We met Rosie O'Donnell on the R Family Vacations cruise.  So much fun!

2006 - Working like a dog to keep Signature Journeys afloat.  This was a hard year.

2007 - McKenzie arrives!  I fell head over heels in love with Kenzie and knew in an instant she had to be mine.  I am so profoundly thankful for this baby.  Signature Journeys was dying but our family was growing.  We moved into the house of our dreams and I swore I would be buried in the backyard.  I love this house!  I also began meeting with my friend and fellow writer, Cheryl, every Thursday morning for 2 hours to write.  More dreams were taking shape and the personal growth was astounding.  I am so thankful for that time with Cheryl.  What a blessing!

2008 -   Biggest surprise of our lives - Morgan!  We thought our family was complete with 2 kids but God wasn't done with us.  I can't imagine life without her!  Signature Journeys breathed it's last breath and Morgan's arrival gave me the chance to re-prioritize my life.  I took on a few odd jobs to bring in some money and Brown Babies Pink Parents was coming to life.  I became more involved in writing and blogging, realizing more and more that I had something to share with the world.  Maybe that message had something to do with black vs white.

2009 - More odd jobs and trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life.  A new baby came into our lives who I thought would stay forever, but we were just a stepping stone for her.  Much of the year was spent trying to juggle 4 kids, a full time job, and everything in between.  Someone very wise suggested I finish that book I was always talking about and then possibly turn Parenting Across Color into a non-profit. I figured, why not? Parenting Across Color was incorporated in December 2009.

transracial families at the same time.  It has been a super busy year and I am absolutely exhausted on December 31, 2010 at 6:01 Pm.

I do have a message to share.  I have an important message to share about peace and healing and love.  I can hardly wait to see what 2011 has in store for me.  I wish you and yours a very happy new year.  I look forward to sharing more adventures with you from my wild and crazy life. 

Happy New Year!!!

No comments: