Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 02, 2010

Happy Birthday Bubba!

33 years ago today, one of the greatest loves of my life was born.  Of course, I didn't know it at the time.  Looking back, I remember my mother being pregnant for what seemed like forever.  Our family moved from Georgia to North Carolina while Mom was great with child.  We lived in the Holiday Inn for a month or a year (I don't really remember which) with a cat while waiting for the house to be ready for move in.  I remember Mom going to the hospital early and getting to eat out with Dad on a more frequent basis.  And then finally, after years of waiting (not really), Mom delivered a man child named Carl.  My Gran came to stay with me while Mom and Dad busied themselves at the hospital.  I clearly remember waiting in the lobby next to the elevator for Mom to come home with the new baby.  There wasn't a chair in sight and I had to stand with Gran for, again, what seemed like forever to a 4 year old.  Suddenly, the elevator doors opened and a nurse wheeled my mother into the lobby.  She stopped in front of me so I could see him.  Mom carefully pulled back the blanket and I immediately wanted a do-over!  He was nothing like I expected and I couldn't believe I had waited so long for that!

Carl annoyed me for most of my childhood, as all good brothers are required to do.  I remember Gran warning me that my face could possibly freeze in such an ugly scowl if I remained so irritated with him.  At some point, Carl joined the Boy Scouts and actually tied a knot that kept me trapped in my bedroom for many, many hours while Mom and Dad were away for a Saturday.  And did I mention he sang ALL the time?  Oh yes.  The neighbors used to tease they always knew what time it was when they heard Carl singing at top volume as he walked home from the bus stop.  The kid made me crazy! 

And then suddenly, we grew up.  He was in high school and I was working at the travel agency when he needed to take the SAT test in Biloxi at the crack of dawn on a Saturday.  I offered to go to the Coast with him and spend Friday night in a hotel so he could take the test early the next morning.  I can't remember if we took his all-terrain-Corsica or my car, but I remember we sang along with the Cranberries and INXS the whole way there.  Once at the hotel, we sat by the pool and just talked.  I realized he was a person - an amazing person.  I made a friend in my brother. 

Carl was the second person I told I was gay.  The funny part is he didn't believe me.  We were delivering Christmas boxes to the needy in his Chevy truck (don't even get me started on teaching him how to drive a stick shift!) when I burst into tears and told him I was gay.  It took a few minutes of convincing before he got it.  I kept telling him how happy I was and he said in the classic Carl style, "Well you don't look very happy with all those tears."  He offered to come with me to tell Mom and Dad.  I knew in that moment he was the greatest love (parental figures not counting) I had ever known until many years later when I became a mother. 

Carl is my brother, my friend, my cheerleader, song leader, court jester, and loving witness to my life.  He is the funniest person I have ever known.  In addition to being brilliant, he is also an amazing father and gentle giant.  I am profoundly thankful for this angel in my life and I am so happy to celebrate this day in honor of Carl's arrival on Earth.  I cannot imagine my world without him and I don't even want to try.  Happy Birthday Bubba!

No comments: